Powered by RedCircle
On October 28 in world history:
- 1492 – Christopher Columbus lands in Cuba: Christopher Columbus, during his first voyage to the Americas, made landfall in Cuba. This marked an important moment in the European exploration and colonization of the New World.
- 1886 – Statue of Liberty dedicated: The Statue of Liberty, a gift from the people of France to the United States, was dedicated on Liberty Island in New York Harbor. It has since become a symbol of freedom and democracy.
- 1919 – Prohibition begins in the United States: The 18th Amendment to the United States Constitution, which prohibited the manufacture, sale, and transportation of alcoholic beverages, went into effect, marking the start of the Prohibition era.
- 1962 – Cuban Missile Crisis: The Cuban Missile Crisis came to a head as U.S. President John F. Kennedy learned that the Soviet Union had agreed to remove its missiles from Cuba. This tense standoff between the U.S. and the Soviet Union brought the world to the brink of nuclear war.
- 2007 – Cristina Fernández de Kirchner becomes President of Argentina: Cristina Fernández de Kirchner was elected as the first woman President of Argentina, succeeding her husband, Néstor Kirchner. She served as the President until 2015.
- 2014 – Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo crashes: Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo, a suborbital spaceplane, suffered a catastrophic in-flight breakup during a test flight, resulting in the death of one of the pilots and serious injuries to the other. This incident was a setback for commercial space tourism efforts.
These are just a few notable events in history that took place on October 28.
A to Z Facebook Page:
Check out our You Tube Channel:
Donate to the show: https://app.redcircle.com/shows/9472af5c-8580-45e1-b0dd-ff211db08a90/donations
Robin and Jack started a new You Tube channel called English Word Master. You can check it out here:
Become a member of Podchaser and leave a positive review!
Join our Whatsapp group: https://forms.gle/zKCS8y1t9jwv2KTn7
Intro/Outro Music: Daybird by Broke for Free